Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Hump Day Inspiration: Do You Believe in Angels?

Do you believe in Angels?

If you don't believe in non-mortal beings who earn their wings everytime a bell rings, then maybe you believe in people put here to give us messages exactly when we need them...



Monday afternoon, following regular labs for my son's rare and genetic, yet completely managed blood disorder, I was crossing the street to Mount Sinai's parking structure when an older white gentleman walking with a cane spoke to me.

"I was watching you in there", he said as we crossed the street together.  

"Oh", I remarked, pleasantly surprised and pleased to be having a conversation with a stranger once again in the city.    

There was a time I craved these interactions...looking for the amazing people of the world on the streets, in the cafés and on the subways of this city.

Having traded that in for "mommy-hood", I am eager to interact with others once again and rekindle friendships possibly staled by my temporary yet necessary absence.

"You are very good with him", the gentleman said glancing at my son, nestled in my carrier.

I smiled, thanked him and bid him to have a great day!

"You are great", he said.  Not a response to my telling him to have a great day, but a statement.  An affirmation of my abilities should anyone ever make me feel inadequate or sub-par.

I didn't turn around to see where the man went after we crossed the street.  I did, however, notice that he was wearing only a sweater.  Not even a hat... And it wasn't that warm.  His presence warmed my heart and gave me a little boost that day.  What exactly he had seen, I do not know, but I am sure he is always watching.


No comments:

Post a Comment